Wednesday, September 30, 2015

The Little Black Book and the Old Guitar

Man, this school thing is keeping me hopping!! The volunteer training for two different hospice companies, the reading and writing, the visiting, the meetings, the reports, etc., are all keeping me on my toes. Since we have both an "hours" requirement and a "pages read" requirement for each term, it doesn't pay to get behind. Sink or swim, baby!

One thing that is required at the beginning of each term is some professional and personal goal setting. I set three goals in each area (and next term I'll tone it down a little, now that I realize how much there is to do and that I don't have as much time to work on the goals as I envisioned). It has been amazing to me, though, how some things have just come together, nearly effortlessly.

One of my goals was to compile a collection of poems, verses, sayings, etc., that I could bring along and share with patients as appropriate. I hadn't given it much thought since setting the goal because I've been caught up in staying on top of all of the regular requirements. Last week I went to my little book club meeting (there have been only 3 of us, now 4) and my good friend Linda, who was hosting, said, "Oh, I have something for you!" She disappeared for a minute and came back with this little black book, which she handed over, saying, "This is for you."


It is a small book entitled Sunlight and Shadows, published in 1947 by Bookcraft. I flipped through the pages and saw that it is filled with beautiful messages related to dying, resurrection, etc., something I will be continually addressing with patients and their family members. The most amazing part of this story is that I hadn't shared my goals with anyone except my instructor! Linda had no idea that I was intending to put together this type of collection. It is a PERFECT beginning and I cherish it already. It is definitely something that I couldn't even go out and purchase because it's no longer in print. The price penciled in on the inside cover? One dollar!

Another of my goals was to come up with a skill/ability/talent that I could bring as a volunteer. Some folks are singers, others are playing the harp or singing with their ukulele, etc. I was wracking my brain over what I could bring as my "thing". Having no idea what that would be (I took violin in my younger years, and I wish I could say that I was good at it, but that would be lying), I just put the words down and hoped that something would hit me and I'd know what to do.

Several weeks ago, my husband had met with a friend of ours to give him some tips for a book that this friend is writing. Last week my husband handed me a page of it to read, saying that he thought I'd enjoy it, that it was a pretty incredible experience. In that one page, the author mentioned playing his guitar and singing. That's when it hit me! I COULD RE-LEARN THE GUITAR!! Two months earlier, I had reclaimed my 33 yr. old guitar from my daughter's home, saying that I wanted to begin playing it again (and that was before any thought of chaplain school had even entered my mind), but I hadn't even cracked open the case yet. I had taken a few lessons in my early twenties but can't even play a chord right now.

I was so excited! I remember vividly how singing was one of the great joys left in my mom's life when she could no longer even make a sentence. She could remember all of the words to many songs and would sing and swing her body to the beat. Music can be upbeat, happy, memory-inducing, and soothing. And the guitar is very portable, so that makes it easy to grab and go on a moment's notice.


Last night I finally opened the case and found that all of the strings were in good shape, so I searched "how to tune a guitar" on YouTube and the first link I clicked on was simply going string by string, no long explanations or talking at all - it just got right to the point. I tuned it easily, strummed it a little, and felt like the planets had aligned just for me. I am so excited!!


And now if you'll excuse me, I have a little practicing to do . . .   :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment